Frequently Asked Question
How to perform a wedding
Last Updated 5 years ago
This is a general guide and meant for informational purposes only, your actual registration process could vary.
- Make sure you have been ordained with our ministry and that you have received your credentials.
- Make sure your license is valid or you have registered in the state you are going to perform the ceremony. There may be additional requirements before you can perform the wedding.
- Meet with the couple.
- Decide which service the couple would like performed.
- Decide if the service is to be nondenominational, religious, formal, or more of a civil ceremony.
- Decide if any religious verses, if any will be used.
- Decide if they would like family or friends to read.
- Decide on who the witnesses will be.
- Decide who is writing the vows.
- Decide on what the fee is, if any and when it is due.
- Select any music that the couple might want played.
- Have the couple decide when and where during the service they want the music.
- Find out if the couple is hiring a singer or band, or using the church's organist or choir.
- Perform a wedding rehearsal. (Done the day or night before the wedding).
- Day of the Wedding
- Arrive at the church at least an hour before the wedding.
- Have the couple sign and the witnesses sign the marriage license.
- Depending on your ceremony this may be done during the ceremony. Some ministers will complete the license after the ceremony.
- Officiate the wedding just as you had practiced on the rehearsal day.
- Conclude the Ceremony and introduce the couple.
- After the ceremony, photo copy the license for your records and mail it to the proper local or state agency.